Welcome to the NCAR Dashboard
You care about the health of your organization. So do we. The National Center for Arts Research (NCAR) at Southern Methodist University has created a free, diagnostic tool, the NCAR KIPI (Key Intangible Performance Indicator) Dashboard, which provides your organization's financial and operating performance results relative to organizations like yours nationally so you can assess health and sustainability and hone strategic decisions.
How to Use the DashboardThe Dashboard is a free web tool in the National Center for Arts Research’s toolkit. Powered by data from DataArts’ Cultural Data Profiles (CDP), the personalized and confidential dashboard showcases arts organizations’ scores and trends across nine key areas. Scores are ready to access immediately for organizations that have completed the DataArts CDP.
Where do I go from here?The NCAR KIPI Dashboard has provided a list of resources to help your organization see their scores, and figure out what to do next.
Not Part of DataArts?If your organization currently does not participate in DataArts, we can help you get started. Start by filling our your DataArts Cultural Data Profile.
Why it's important
- See your trends: The NCAR Dashboard illuminates your performance across nine key areas over a five-year period
- Use it as a resource to help focus strategic planning discussions
- Share stories about high performance with your board and funders
- Our metrics provide real performance results relative to the field, taking into account your organization's community characteristics and your sector, size, age, etc
- Important intangible aspects like good-decision-making, intellectual capital, reputation, and relationships drive high performance and are reflected in the NCAR Dashboard KIPI scores
- The Dashboard helped many other industries understand high performance and the best practices that drive it
"I think it is fabulous, and overall I do believe it is a great representation of DBDT's performance. I plan to share with my Board which is seeking a way to measure DBDT's progress after we implement our new plan."
"The more I poke around on it, the more I realize what a wonderful tool this is going to be for us and what a great resource for the entire community."
"As we become more familiar with the dashboard, we may discover ways that it can help direct/support new initiatives and decisions."
The Latest Trends and Findings
The NCAR Report editions and resources can help you better understand what drives performance, what average performance looks like for arts organizations, and how to move scores in a positive direction.
Find NCAR Reports
What Else Is Happening at NCAR
Stay connected to NCAR and receive updates on the issues that matter to you
Credits & Acknowledgements
We are grateful to IBM for its support of this project, especially Carlos Ruiz, IBM Business Analytics Specialist.
Additional support from
Special thanks to Dr. Rick Briesch, NCAR's first research fellow, for his contributions to this project.